SFPE Discussions

Automatic Sliding Doors

Has anyone had experience with commissioning acceptance tests with automatic sliding doors. The last set of sliding doors I witnessed being tested created a major problem for the installer, a major player. Apparently there is a problem with failing the power to the door and getting the door to automatically retract. As I understand it, several installations do not fail open but remain secure until the built in sliding door battery backup loses its charge when it then become unsecure and the doors can be manually prised apart. That arrangement does not comply with C/AS2 3.15.7 b) (and all the previous versions of C/ASx).
I am interested in the experience of other fire engineers having to sign PS4’s for these installations. As I understand it, the auto sliding door needs a separate UPS to maintain door security in the event of a power cut and the door controller is programmed to automatically open on failure of the power supply - the UPS.

Regards
Robert Peart

Hi Robert
I have always taken it that auto doors continue to operate on power fail (due to the battery backup) rather than they power open (which often contradicts the security design). I dont consider you have to provide a means of escape for persons unlawfully in the building if the building is unoccupied and secure.
Alan at Batchelor Associates is a good contect to talk to on securty requirements.
See you tomorrow!
Jeff

Jeff, on the means of escape for people in the building who maybe shouldn’t be there. MBIE Determination 2018-028 has some discussion on this and if we should care.

I am still going through it at present.

Jeff,
C/AS 3.15.7 b) requires that the doors retract (or be readily pushed OUTWARD) on power failure or malfunction at any time of the day - building occupied or unoccupied. It is probably more important that the doors retract on power failure when the building is occupied.
I would expect that the IQP’s should have a power isolate switch to simulate power failure and witness the automatic doors retract open.
Security is a separate issue and could be handled by providing a UPS for the automatic doors.
Another way could be to have a spring retraction for the automatic doors and let the built in battery backup provide the security. I haven’t seen this method manufactured though.
Cheers
Robert

Good to know common sense prevailed here dispite the authority having a different view!

Hi Robert
I have just finished commissioning auto doors in a shopping centre. All doors are power to close so that loss of power automatically moves them to the open position. This method meets C/AS* as loss of power doesn’t differentiate between 230v and 12v. The doors are also required to open for makeup air therefore the alarm panel signals the doors to open by removing their power source, regardless of voltage.
Good luck
John